Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Liked 3,702 Times in 1,242 Posts

Until recently I owned a large .22 rifle collection, a change of job and a need for cash forced me to sell off my eye candy shooters and keep the affordable tack drivers.

Rifles which went to new homes included a beautiful Remington 521T Junior Scoremaster, Remington 541T HB, Winchester 94/22, CZ-452 Training Rifle (most accurate of the whole bunch), Browning T-Bolt, Marlin 39A (most fired, however it had become a safe dweller), Ruger 10/22 standard, and a Henry. The least accurate by far was the pretty little Winchester.

By now, you probably wonder what I kept. Well, three Marlins made the cut, a 881 tube fed, poly stock bolt model, a J.C. Higgins branded (44DL) version of the late, great model 57 Speedmaster lever action and the single best shooting rifle of any kind I've ever owned, a first year of manufacture 880 SQ Squirrel Rifle. Yeah, the SQ is butt ugly, however it will put almost any good standard velocity ammo into tiny little groups at 50 yards.
The other two rifles I kept are Lipsey's exclusive Ruger 10/22's. One is a slim profile sported with a Schnable tip stock, the other a medium heavy 22 inch barrel walnut stock target spotter. I replaced the trigger groups in both 10/22's which made them into seriously accurate little semi autos.