Thread: My Baby AR
View Single Post

Old 07-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex31 View Post
Based on the photo the magazine is not being loaded correctly. The rounds should stagger every other but look at the picture, many rounds in a row all stacked on one side. That will cause feeding issues.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
That picture is from my first day out when I was unaware the ammo had to be staggered. That might be a reason for my FTE issues. Since then I have ensured the bullets stagger correctly after loading the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlidster View Post
Invest in a McFadden loader and the cartridges will always align correctly in the magazine. The only down-side with this device is that it allows you to load your 15-22 as fast as you can shoot it. Allow for this in your ammo budget.

My 15-22 functioned perfectly out of the box with all ammo except for a batch of Winchester bulk (222, 333, 555, etc.) With a Volquartsen extractor it functions perfectly with everything. Invest $12 and ten minutes of your time. It's worth it.

Lightnin' Grip Loader
Thanks for the link to that! It's the first I'm seeing and it looks incredibly awesome! I definitely need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
I recommend break-in with CCI Mini-Mags.

If it doesn't work with those it's probably broken.

Clean it thoroughly, especially the chamber. Lube lightly.
I did clean it thoroughly before shooting.

It's hard to find any 22LR ammo locally especially CCI. Today I went to a shop farther from my house. They only had CCI Standard Velocity in stock so I picked up a box of 500. I hope to try it out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post
I bought a 15-22 about a month ago and after doing a lot of reading I changed the extractor before even shooting it. I also read about being careful when loading the magazine.

I took my 15-22 to the range for the 2nd time yesterday and out about 125 rounds through it. The first time out, I ran out of time and only got 25 rounds down range. I shot Federal Auto Match and CCI Minister Mags HP and I did not have any issues. It was a nice change from the 10/22 which always has a failure of some sort every magazine.

The 15-22 is probably the most fun to shoot of all the guns I own.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I'm surprised to see you had that many issues with the 10/22. I've heard it's one of the more reliable 22 rifles out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity.45 View Post
Gl9ck,

On page 10 of my printed user manual is a list of ammunition for optimal performance, and on page 11 is ammunition to avoid.

I downloaded the user manual from the S&W web site to compare with the printed one I received when I purchased the rifle about a month ago. Sure enough, ammo recommendations not in the downloaded version.

For your consideration.

Recommended:
CCI Standard Velocity
CCI Mini-Mag
Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity
Aguila Super Extra High Velocity
Federal American Eagle
Federal GameShock
Winchester Super-X High Velocity

Not Recommended:
Remington Golden Bullet
Remington Target 22
Remington Thunderbolt
Winchester Wildcat
All sub-sonic brands and types

Sent telepathically
Thank you for sharing that! I knew I had seen a list like this somewhere at some point in my research on the M&P15-22. My printed manual does not have this list and after contacting S&W they told me they do not specifically recommend specific manufactures and simply told me to look for ammo that meets SAAMI standards. I'm glad to see that the CCI Standard Velocity ammo that I purchased today is on this list.

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys. I'm a gun newbie and I'm all about learning.

This still leaves my question about the charging handle unanswered though. Is the MST worth the extra cost over the Tacticool 22?