View Single Post

Old 08-08-2016, 03:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,499 Times in 6,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackell View Post
My model 69 cocks on the bolt going back making it an earlier year model, maybe '35. but it does NOT have a rear buck horn sight on the barrel, it does have a rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation that is set in a dovetail behind the ejection port. Does anyone have any idea how or why it is configured like this? The barrel shows no work being done to fill in any sight attachment point at the point where it normally shows the rear sight in pictures i have seen of "standard Model 69's". To me it appears the the sight on mine is not original to the rifle, but my question is what would normally be on this as a rear sight?
Perhaps this will help. 69s and 69As had two particular versions of rear sights. The standard was the normal open sight mounted in a dovetail in the barrel. The second was a peep sight (Winchester 80A sight in the catalog), made mostly of stamped metal. Here are two views of this sight, which was mounted behind the ejection port. This one is on a 69A, but the 69 setup was identical. This sight was also used on the Model 72 and the 72A as an option. See the OP for an overall picture of a 69A with this sight.

Elevation was adjusted by loosening the large thumbwheel knob on the left, raising or lowering the sight, and then tightening the thumbwheel. The little screw on top could then be screwed down to contact the receiver; this would enable the owner to easily return to that elevation point.

Windage was adjusted by loosening the peep itself slightly, moving the sight right or left, and then tightening the peep, which was knurled to assist in turning it.

The zero scale could be adjusted with the 3rd screw on the right, to match the zero mark on the sight body once zero was accomplished.

If your sight matches this one, then it is correct. The 69s and 69As with the adjustable 80A rear sight had a ramped front sight (Winchester 97B); the ramp was made of stamped steel and was removable.

Hope this helps.

John

P.S. 69s cock when the bolt goes forward; the 69As cock when the handle is lifted.

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 08-08-2016 at 04:42 PM.