View Single Post

Old 08-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
slickracer, if your 686 takes pinned on front sights, may I suggest you getting the gold bead patridge front sight instead of the regular blade patridge sight. I have a 27-5 that came with one and I found it much easier to pick up the front sight with over a red ramp or regular patridge sight. I have also bought 2 others for my 629-3 Classic and the 627 Pro I just bought in April that came with red ramps and they are world's better than the red ramp sights that came with those 2 weapons too. My brother has a 6" barrel 27-2 that came with the regular style patridge sight and while it is nice, the gold bead style is easier to pick up to me. S&W makes one and I bought mine off of Brownell's but they are of the quick change variety that the 627 Pro and 629 Classic take. They do have a pinned type gold dot bead made by SDM Fabricating that should work with your 686 if it takes pinned front sights listed on Brownell's. The SDM is a bit more expensive than what I paid for my S&W sight blades, but it also uses a real gold bead instead of a brass bead like the S&W sights use.

Here's a link to the SDM gold bead sight for you to examine. <<<LINK>>>
Exactly the info I was looking for. I also have a 686 with a pinned front sight I wanted to swap with a partridge type sight. The gold bead looks like what I want as well. I'm not sure of the height though... my 686 is strictly a target pistol for me using lighter loads. More .38s than .357.
The other issue is, while my home gunsmithing knowledge is fairly good and have been working on guns for many years, I've never attempted to drill anything... that makes me nervous I guess. I also don't have a punch that small so I'd have to get that from Brownells too. Or bring it to a gunsmith.
anyway, thanks for the info!