View Single Post

Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM

Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts

Folks

Almost four years ago, I posted in a firearms forum it was possible to replicate an iconic pistol from the Vietnam war era. This pistol was used by the SEALS on their missions, to neutralize human, canine and waterfowl sentries outside of enemy villages. Officially, the US Navy called this Smith & Wesson pistol the Mark 22 Mod 0, but due to its purpose, the SEALs called it the "Hush Puppy." A remarkable feat of engineering that served with the SEALs until the mid-1980s...

Others told me I was nuts (though who hasn't said that to me multiple times?), but I did not heed their catcalls...

With only images of the original pistol and an electronic digital caliper, I reverse engineered the front sight, the rear sight "wings," the suppresor (in this case a faux unit), and most importantly, the slide lock, all to be combined on a "donor" S&W 39-2...

My friends, the "Hush Puppy" is OFFICIALLY reborn!!!

The pistol seen in these images belongs to the first person who believed in my vision of what could be. I was NOT alone on this journey. Others more skilled in metalworking turned my visions into a reality that truly honors the warriors who carried this iconic firearm into harm's way...

Wish I had a Cohiba and a decent size snifter of cognac. In the immortal words of Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together." Just let me wallow in the "glory" a bit. I get so little recognition of the efforts I put into things, even this one small achievement means a ton...

Thank you all for bearing with me. All forum members can be proud tonight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPdone01.jpg (67.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg HPdone02.jpg (202.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg HPdone03.jpg (100.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by dvelleux; 08-24-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Clarity and readability
The Following 7 Users Like Post: