View Single Post

Old 08-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Liked 3,385 Times in 1,107 Posts
Default Many disagree.

For a fact, the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission (by whom many former LEO's are qualified in the great state of Maryland) does not agree with Baranowski's opinion.

When first I qualified we were given the option of qualifying with a semi-automatic, a revolver, or both. However, when the 'night fire' component was added to the qualification course there was not sufficient time to qualify with both types of handguns. Accordingly, shooters must select what specific type they want to carry per LEOSA. I choose a revolver...and can carry ANY make/model/caliber revolver.

My LEOSA creds state 'Weapon Type: Revolver.'

Be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues7 View Post
Here in NC, if one doesn't qualify with their old agency, (my former outfit doesn't get involved), we must qualify with a state certified range officer who is authorized to administer qualifications to law enforcement officers.

In my case, I qualify with the local sheriff's office and then send in a notarized form with my scores, (both day and night), as well as a copy of my retired creds and a money order to the NC DOJ which sends me back a card certifying my LEOSA qualification, the applicable dates and the firearms qualified with (but not their serial numbers).

In the following article by James M. Baranowski, Esq. of the NRA-ILA, he maintains that as long as the qualification for the firearms is the same, one can properly carry any handgun, whether pistol or revolver, even if it is not one of the firearms that the retired LEO qualified with:

Was curious whether other LEO's and instructors agree that this is the case...or, alternatively, believe that only the specific model of firearm qualified with is covered.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: