View Single Post

Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts

My department sets up a qualification day (usually a couple, for those who can't make one or the other) annually. All of us old, decrepit retirees go and have a bit of a reunion. It's surprising how many of us from a department of 80 sworn that there are now. Anyway, I digress. We are issued our department retired ID, which is printed "CCW APPROVED" or not. There aren't many who are not approved, unless they retired medically for stress or other psychological conditions. The ID card is good for 5 years. However, the ID card is also printed with a statement that says that the holder is qualified to carry the guns listed on our annual qualification card. It contains the inclusive dates and slots for four handguns per card. We can get as many cards as we need, meaning that we have to qualify with every handgun we intend to carry.

For me, that's been a mix of revolvers and semis (usually a total of 8 to 10). This year, I plan to cut back to four, having figured out what I really carry after two years of being retired. I'll have the following: 340 M&P, 640-2, Glock 26 and a Shield .45, once I get one.