Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 08-24-2016, 07:27 PM

Liked 4,960 Times in 1,303 Posts
Default Great little sporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
If we are talking accuracy, then this is the .22 I will put up against any other. At 50 yards, it will routinely shoot cloverleaf groups.

This is the famed Winchester Model 75 Sporter. While many talk about the Model 52 Sporter, this one is a lot lighter for field work, and is fully the equal of its big brother as far as accuracy is concerned. The chamber and the rifling are exclusively for .22 LR, and the bolt is hand-headspaced and marked with the serial number. These are rare today, and I was very happy to find this one before it came on the floor at a gun show back in 2003. I did some of my best negotiating to obtain it.

I call it my "flea flicker" for being probably able to flick a flea off a dog's posterior! My only modifications have been to lighten the trigger pull to about 3 pounds and limit the trigger overtravel with a trigger shoe.

It will go toe to toe with any other .22 on the planet for placing precision shots, and is one of my personal favorites.

John

John,
Your choice of a 75 Sporter is a good one, I have shot one, and the othet rifles that you compared it to, but I only wish we lived close, so that I could let you run a fiew rounds through one of my Anchutz 54 1410 match rifles, or a 54 Sporter, or even my Cooper Mod. 36 Classic, for a little wider field of comparison. It sounds like you are really satisfied, and impressed with your 75 Sporter, so it probably would not sway your opinion at all. Good choice!
Chubbo
The Following User Likes This Post: