Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 08-25-2016, 11:40 AM

Liked 4,960 Times in 1,303 Posts
Default 62-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rat View Post
My "favorite" .22 rifle has to be my Model 62A. It is just like the one my old man used during the 30's and 40's to feed the family. He would go hunting with it and come home with a trunk full of anything he could get. Mom would figure a way to prepare whatever he had!!

When he died in 1991 I found out he had sold it years before. So I went on a quest to find one just like it. Mine is a 1946 model.

I have many .22 rifles but this is my Favorite one.
Road Rat,
I admire your choice of .22 rim fire rifle. Many years ago I set out to acquire one of every model .22 hunting rifles that Winchester made, and got most of the ones that I truly admired. back then if you had a Mod. 97 shotgun the Mod. 62 rifle, was the companion to it. The style, and actions being exactly alike no change of shooting style was required, when using one or the other.The 62 is one of the few that I never acquired, as The mod. 97 shotgun that I have came along a lot later in my life. It was promised to me when I was around three years old, by my favorite uncle. Because of it I learned to spell my first word, Gun. My uncle, said that when I became 21 yrs. old the 97 was mine. Well, by that time I had acquired my own shotgun, a mod. 12 Winchester 20 ga. , and a mod. 61 Winchester rifle, as it's companion .22 rifle. When I became 21 yrs. old my uncle was still an active hunter, that I hunted with regularly, and I told him to use the mod. 97 as long as he still hunted. When he passed away, my aunt could not bear to part with the mod. 97, and I didn't get the gun until she passed away many years later. I still have that old well used mod. 97, used by many family members. I never did acquire a mod. 62 rifle as a companion to this old favorite shotgun, something that I really regret, now that I'm to old to do it. Pardon the long winded, true story. It brought back many old memories from around 1933.
Chubbo
The Following 4 Users Like Post: