View Single Post

Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 PM

Liked 1,134 Times in 521 Posts

Dang. I must be lucky -- every S&W revolver I've bought is essentially perfect, including the recently purchased 686-8 with 3" barrel.

I replaced the front sight with a .280 Trijicon white (night sight) dot. The old (black post, red insert) sight was dead-on accurate but the new white dot is a bit easier to see and is perfect too.

And tonight, shooting Hornady 125 grain JHP .357 rounds -- rated at 1500 fps -- was magic. Easily controllable, stout but not painful, and overall just fantastic. This is a round that I think would accomplish most of what you can expect from a self-defense round.

I read enough of these posts to believe that S&W must be letting some guns through with serious defects, particularly the clocked barrel. I may actually be running a greater risk of this because I tend to buy from Bud's, via the internet, so I don't get to inspect the gun first -- although I've never had a problem. But a certain percentage of S&W revolver buyers will have to send their new purchases back to Springfield, Mass for repairs -- which isn't right.