View Single Post

Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Liked 4,401 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4506 View Post
I don't carry under LEOSA, as I'm not a retired LEO...but with all the different interpretations by state, agency, lawyer, etc...why not just get a regular CCW permit to cover yourself? It may not give quite as many rights to carry as LEOSA does, but in most states it's very clear what you can and can't do. I would not want to be a test case for LEOSA if I got into a shooting.

I have a NC and AZ CCW permit. I really only got my NC permit because of the silly permits needed to buy pistols in this state...and with a CCW permit we are exempt from the pistol purchase permit.

If you have any firearms training, such as law enforcement or military, the AZ permit is super easy to obtain. Fingerprints, copy of your firearms training, 1 page CCW permit application filled out, and a $60 money order, and you're good for 5 years. Renewal is $45. Seems much easier than trying to decipher what you can and can't do under LEOSA.

Fox
Actually, despite the different ways that individual states interpret LEOSA (for issuing their own citizens documentation regarding qualifications and / or mandatory training), the rest is contingent on what LEOSA, (the federal law), grants under its authority.

For example, here in NC, if you were to qualify annually with your old agency or department the state would not get involved whatsoever. You'd receive your proof of qualification from that agency to keep with your retired creds and be good to go.

However, in NC, if you don't qualify with your old agency your alternative is to qualify through an instructor who is certified by the NC Dept. of Justice. In my case, a lieutenant with the local Sheriff's Dept.

The link I posted above from the NC DOJ provides a good explanation of the program and how it works...including a chart of where a retired LEO may carry vs. someone with a CCH.

Finally, I've considered getting a state license as well, and may in the future, but it would only be worthwhile if I wanted to conceal carry something I didn't qualify with for LEOSA or wanted to purchase additional firearms. Neither of which is the case at the present time. (The other firearm I carry occasionally but not under LEOSA, a 3" 686+, is open carried on our rural roads or local woods during periods of high bear or coyote activity while I'm out with the dog.)

Last edited by blues7; 08-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: