Thread: Ammo cans...
View Single Post

Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM

Liked 7,079 Times in 3,002 Posts

Along about 1990 or so I was still workin in the FD. Went to the local Mil Surp place down near Jessup prison. We needed a vehicle to use to firefight in a parking garage. Picked up one of those Dodge P/Us that the military used to use. While I was there they had a pallet or two of the 50 cal ammo cans. asked the guy how much they wanted. he said 50 cents each I said wow..that a lot of money. He thought it was cheap. Said there must be 400 or more there. He looked at me kinda funny and said..you want the ALL?? I said yep. and he never even thought about it and said you can have 'em all for 50 bucks but they have to be out of here by noon tomorrow. I paid the man and left there with 200 in the back of that P/U. By the time I got back to work I had sold 100 of them for a buck each at the local pawn shops and gun shops Sold a few more to the guys in our FD and we put lots of little stuff on the engines and crash trucks in the compartments...they were of course free to the department. Got the rest picked up the next day and sold another couple hundred in short order. Gave some to friends and still have more than 40 left. Most are full of bullets and lead ingots. Surprisingly 7 of those cans were full of new stripper clips. Wish I had kept 'em all(stripper clips). Someone told me in Md if you buy those ammo boxes you have to register 'em or something..?? no sense in that at all.
The Following User Likes This Post: