View Single Post

Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Sorry to be late to the party.

Richard nailed it. Also the one line MADE IN U.S.A. will be changed to the four line address on the right side front frame.

Now, having said that, recognize that early Post war Transitional models have been found with every one of the pre war characteristics, including the flat silver medallions in the round top service stocks!

In these cases, the only distinguishing differences between a pre war and post war is the sliding bar safety. Even the one line MADE IN U.S.A. has been observed after the war!

I refer to Richard's Post-war #56004 as a "pure" Post War Transitional. The most confusing aspect of these is that these "pure" examples are found with lower numbers and earlier ship dates than examples with pre war characteristics which I refer to as Pre war/Post war Transitionals!

A note about the logo:

By the change order dated Dec. 1936, the small logos on the left side frame and some that were already on the side plate at this time were all changed to the larger logo and all placed on the side plate. This is true of I, K and N frames. Frames have both logos if stamped Dec 1936 and assembled early 1937.

But post war, I frames went back to small logos on left side due to difficulties roll stamping the large logo on the small I frame side plates without bending them at the new post war sliding bar safety groove milled on the inside of the side plates. The small left side logo on I and J frames continued at least into the 1980s.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 09-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: