View Single Post

Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 AM
US Veteran

Liked 141 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson View Post
This was my question. How can it have less recoil, with a higher bullet weight, and be as effective? The physics aren't jiving...
They have apparently tweaked the Micro bullet slightly so that it controls the expansion early on so it is allowed to penetrate slightly farther before becoming totally upset. That lets them get more penetration from a slower projectile. I watched TNOutdoor's test a couple times but with everything shot into a single block we never really got a look at the various gel cavities to see where things started.

He did say in his video that it might be hard for Federal to sway users of the current HST ammo to switch to the new round, particularly since they say they will not be phasing out the HST 147gr.

As I posted yesterday, I for one am happy with my current HSTs and the new Micro seems very similar. It looks like a good round for folks that want to try it for their own personal reasons, especially if the price comes down. I suspect that Federal feels they can both pull in new customers and convince some folks to switch with the tag line that it is "made for short barreled guns". However, while never advertised as such, the regular HST performs wonderfully out of short barrels.

So, I guess it's "You say tomato and I say tuh-mot-toe"