View Single Post

Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,778 Times in 1,815 Posts

First off. This thread... I have too much to put into it.

Richard, I love that gun. I'm surprised it wasn't used more heavily. That's a very functional modification, I've seen similar jobs but never quite like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFAN View Post
Forth change converted into a military sight target It has a King double cockeyed hammer. Stationary rear sight. No marking on the front sight. Stocks seem to be of the home made variety and are very comfortable. Shoots right on the money at 25 yards. It has to have been reblued but it looks good to me. From the looks of the ejector rod it looks to have been fired some.

DW

I'm 100% sure that King didn't do the work on your gun, although it could have been done by someone who had some affiliation with King at one point. The more I dig into the old modified guns the more I find that a lot of the best people worked for him at one point or another.

I have I think 3 guns that were modified by this mystery shop: Mystery Gunsmith Fixed Target Sights/Hammers

The sight work looks like it matches up to yours?

Thing is, looking at yours I think you should look at this:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...er-pd-gun.html

There's a video in my thread too that you should have a look at it.

I think your gun has the same internal modifications. If I am seeing it right in your pictures the Hammer looks exactly like mine.

If you watch the video of mine to see how incredibly short the DA action is, by any chance does that match yours?

I'm suspecting after looking over your gun that whoever it was doing all this work might have been doing the short action job, or the target hammer, and certainly the fixed sight targets.

I'd love to figure out who it is, I've spent quite a lot of time poring over old magazines trying to find anything that matches. Nothing yet. I thought maybe Mershon, and got some of their old Catalogs, but couldn't find any mention there. All I know for sure is that it wasn't officially King, and I'm pretty certain it wasn't the factory.

The C.D.H. on my gun with the Short Action there might be a big clue, but I haven't had any luck tracking that down yet.

Oh, and this one: 1917 "Target", C&R celebration day!

I think this is a different shop, but it's also one of these modified fixed sight target military match style guns.

Last edited by Modified; 09-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: