View Single Post

Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

Here's a modder that didn't even make sense to me when I first saw it under the glass at my LGS. On inspection, it turned out to be a .455 Second Model converted to .45 Colt with target sights (Micro) added front and rear. The recoil shield was planed to accommodate the thicker cartridge rim.

I absolutely hate the profile of the front sight. One of my plans is to modify this one so the top front corner is even more rounded, then cut a vertical face deep enough to put in a McGivern gold bead. The ramp angle on the reconfigured sight blade should match the ramp angle on the sight base. I would also like to put a U-notch leaf in the rear sight, maybe with a white outline.

The goodyears certainly don't upgrade this gun, but they contribute a kind of blackout appeal to the whole package.

This other modified gun is kind of tragic and kind of interesting at the same time. It started life as a .320 Revolving Rifle (No. 413). At some point the barrel was cut to eight inches. The barrel rib was milled off except for a short piece left as a front sight base, and the forestock was sacrificed since it was now too long for the remaining steel. Without the forestock, there was no need for the squared-off mating surface, so it was severely eased to give the front of the frame a more rounded look. The detachable shoulder stock is long gone.

The front sight base was never drilled so a proper blade could be pinned in place, but there is a badly cut slot that was probably intended to permit its installation. Putting this right is another of my long-term projects.

Here's the proof it really started as a .320 RR:

Last edited by DCWilson; 09-11-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Changed a couple of words for clarity's sake.
The Following 19 Users Like Post: