View Single Post

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Liked 1,602 Times in 538 Posts

I shoot my 617 in Steel Challenge competition. I used the reamer to bring the chambers up to SAAMI specification. Have not had any problem. Easy to do.

New 617, Disappointing!-dsc_0153-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_NC View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with a brand new .22LR revolver. Your situation is, unfortunately, fairly common........S&W is probably using their .22LR chamber reamers too long before replacement. A worn chamber reamer will result in an undersize chamber, it's as simple as that.

One solution is for you to use a finishing chamber reamer and complete the job yourself that S&W started for you. I've done this on numerous S&W .22LR revolvers, model 18's, 17's and 617's. All have retained every bit of their inherent accuracy, as the chamber reamer does not affect the throat of the cylinder, only the chamber portion. Check out this thread for additional information.
The tools you need are:
Brownells reamer: 513051220
Brownells Do-drill lubricant: 083007016

If you're not comfortable doing this job yourself, or don't want to undertake it, based on principle alone (totally understandable considering it's a brand new gun) then go ahead and return it to S&W, and hope they make it right.

Good luck,
Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0153.jpg (58.3 KB, 3302 views)

Last edited by Macinaw; 11-26-2016 at 06:40 PM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: