View Single Post

Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 PM

Liked 700 Times in 392 Posts

I have a 17 no-dash made in 1954, used as a much-shot match pistol. Guess what? I have to smack the ejector with the palm of my hand to eject the empties. On at least one occasion I've suffered an FTF due to debris in the chamber recess. A little bit of gunk serves to cushion the blow.

It takes a lot of elbow grease to remove the chamber ring from firing. There is no "throat" in a .22 LR revolver - the bullets are the same size as the brass - a throwback never corrected in the 150 years of their existence. If you see a "throat" in the cylinder, scrub harder.

All of the lubrication is by necessity, EXTERNAL, and gets on everything, especially in bulk packs. CCI and other premium brands are packaged individually in holders. 50 years ago my High Standard Citation never missed a beat. Now I'm lucky to get three rounds between failures (CCI excepted). That happened well before the Great Shortage, when we were grateful to buy anything that reached the shelves.

I have two .22 LR revolvers, a J and a K, which I will use with my friends and heirs to teach them to shoot without fear of recoil. For that, it's worth all the trouble keeping them running.

Last edited by Neumann; 09-09-2016 at 11:34 PM.