View Single Post

Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 AM

Liked 183 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongoon View Post
One writer is correct about rough chambers cut with worn reamers at the factory. These will typically be on the small end of the tolerance. Put a .22 brush in a power drill and polish each chamber on slow speed with the polishing compound for 5-10 seconds. Swab each chamber clean with your Hoppe's or whatever, then once more time with the polish, and swab. This is the safest way to smooth up the chambers and will fix that kind of problem 95% of the time. A common problem with .22 revolvers, even brand new ones. For the other 5%, unless you are a skilled gunsmith, you should forget trying to use a chamber reamer yourself and risk damaging your nice revolver. send it back to the factory.
I have had significant problems with extraction requiring hitting the extractor rod of my model 17 with a small hammer or on the range bench.

I tried this procedure yesterday. I can't believe how much crud came out with polishing and recleaning. I went through the process three times before the cylinders swabbed clean. I used a .243 bore brush and Mothers Mag.

I can't wait to take it to the range in the next few days.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: