View Single Post

Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,294 Times in 1,688 Posts

My first Smith & Wesson revolver was a Model 29-2 6 1/2 inch barrel I bought new in 1968. I still have it. Almost all the ammunition through it has been handloads. I found the 22 grain load of 2400 was more than I wanted to shoot, to save me and the gun, I dropped to 20 grains for the heavy loads. Light loads were loaded with 8 grains of Unique. Now the heavys are 18 1/2 grains as 2400 has changed a little and from reading Brian Pearce, I have learned that I should move up to 9 grains of Unique. So I will try those.
I shot the 29 a lot back then, but not so much now, it is kinda semi retired as I have other newer 44s to shoot. But I still love the old beast, it is still tight and has a solid action.
But, I probably shoot a thousand .38s for every box of .44 mag loads I shoot.
So, Do you NEED a .44 Mag. NO, not unless you want to hunt game deer size and larger. BUT, if you want one, don't ask here. Buy one. They are a lot of fun to shoot, either target loads, medium loads or boomers.
I would recommend a 6 inch or 6 1/2 inch 29 or 629. The boomers like longer barrels, and are a bit easier on the shooter. I have a 4 inch I have not shot in probably 25 years, but like the longer barrel lengths better. I still like the 6 1/2 29s better than the 6, but its really a toss up for carry and shooting.
Good luck with your new purchase.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: