View Single Post

Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,218 Times in 5,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterbore View Post
I have a question for those in the know. I was with my son the other day at a local gun store and spied a Model 36 in a leather holster sitting on the counter. I was told they'd just received in from an estate sale and were going to sell it. I told my son he should pick it up because it looked to be in pretty good shape.
He paid $450 for it and before they put it away I noted the serial number to be 151580. Also, the cylinder release was odd compared to other S&W's I own. This release button was rectangular and relatively flat. Anyway, I was hoping someone might take a guess at the production date and possibly comment on the price keeping in mind I live in California and even finding a firearm anymore feels like hitting the lottery.
Thanks
Your son's new Model 36 probably looks similar to the one in post #60, which is a square butt. You didn't mention whether your son's has a square or a round butt; either way, I'm guessing -- based on other posters' serial numbers that your son's was shipped from the factory in the late 1950s, certainly after 1957 when model numbers started. Lately I've seen similar Model 36s go for anywhere from $300 to $600 so it's hard to estimate based on location and the actual condition. Sounds like he did ok!

A plus would be if the sn stamped in the inside of the right stock matches the sn on the frame. You didn't mention the holster style/brand, but if it were me I wouldn't store the gun in the holster.

Hope this helps.

Bob