Thread: 9MM Revolvers
View Single Post

Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 AM

Liked 253 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
I think the 9mm in a compact revolver is a great idea because it's a high pressure round using a small powder charge that is much more efficient from snubby barrels than the .38 Spl. and the .357 Magnum.
The only problem is nobody is capitalizing on the COAL of the 9mm and building cylinders and frame openings specifically to fit it which would make a J-frame much more compact. Economics is one reason, consumer perception and demand another.

Yes the 9mm does produce more muzzle blast than a .38 Spl...it should, even with anemic domestic "underloads" the 9mm is still loaded very close to the .357 in terms of pressure, so yes it will also out kick a .38 Spl...but it's the BETTER choice between the .38 Spl and .357 Mag.

Having said that I like the Ruger LCR...it doesn't cost a fortune to acquire, and has an improved lock design.
I agree with nearly everything you have said. The 9mm does not lose nearly as much velocity as the .357 in a short barrel. Ballistically, the 9mm seems about the sweet spot in a snub revolver, and there are some loads available that are not currently cataloged for .38 Special, Federal's excellent HST 124 grain for example. And the LCR is a good buy compared to tracking down a scarce S&W 9mm carry revolver.
However, there is a revolver currently on the market that takes advantage of the shorter Cylinder Overall Length afforded by the 9x19. You are forgetting about the German revolver maker, Korth. They have entered into a partnership with Nighthawk Custom who is importing the Korth Sky Marshal as the Sky Hawk. This K-Frame sized package integrates a shorter cylinder for a very handy package that does not use moon clips. Unfortunately, the styling is as shocking as the price (STARTING at $1699.00). For that kind of money, I could afford to look for a nice 547 and have plenty of dough left over to buy several cases of 9mm.