View Single Post

Old 09-29-2016, 03:38 AM

Liked 9,331 Times in 3,497 Posts
Default APEX and C&S firing pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I ordered a replacement firing pin from Apex to have on hand, just in case. Wouldn't you know it, the new one (.496" long) I received has the pointed nose, like the factory.

Hopefully the C&S firing pin you get will be rounded.
Follow-up: I emailed Apex twice trying to find out why the change, or if I got the wrong part. Never got an answer for it.

Since I posted this I've bought a 325 Thunder Ranch, & a 327TRR8, & found they both had light strikes/FTF with their .486" firing pins. Put the new pointed Apex F/P in the 325TR & it worked but with some very light strikes, no FTF. Put the older round nose Apex F/P in it & it worked great consistently with broad deep impacts.

Just received the C&S extra length firing pins (CS0188) I ordered from MidwayUSA (since Apex wasn't helpful) & they are .510" OAL & have the broad rounded nose. I also bought a factory S&W F/P from them, just for grins, & it measures .497" OAL with a broad round nose.

Sure wish S&W would go thru their parts bin & throw out all the .486" F/Ps & stop installing them in new guns.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 10-11-2016 at 11:50 PM. Reason: .updated pic