View Single Post

Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Need assitance with a model 39 barrel

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me if I mess up. A few years ago I bought a 39-2 from someone, no box or papers, in really good shape. The only question I had about it was it had a five inch barrel on it, so it protruded another inch past the bushing. It appears to be stainless, and has the "9 mm" markings on the top. I have looked in the S&W catalog and can't find anywhere a 39 was made with a barrel this length. I never shot it, but it appears to function fine. I was going to sell the barrel on GB or Ebay as I have already replaced it with a four incher, but I wasn't sure what to say it was made for. According to what I have found, even the model 59's were four inch barrels except for a few in .38 caliber that were five inches. I also found that Smith made a model 39 for the navy called "hushpuppies" where the barrel extended an extra inch, but were threaded for a suppressor. This one is smooth all the way. Does anyone recognize what I have or what gun this barrel was originally made for?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0031 (2).jpg (59.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0029 (2).jpg (77.1 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0028 (2).jpg (37.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0030 (2).jpg (36.4 KB, 146 views)