View Single Post

Old 10-09-2016, 02:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Old School View Post
I've achieved a truce with the takedown screw backing out by simply tightening really really tight. I just wonder if it will wear out from putting that much torque on it. We'll see. You can call it a design issue or not, propose solutions like Loctite or not, but either way I don't like it. I'm not going to change my mind about that.

A few days ago I put about 150 rounds through it, switching off between the 2 mags. After a while, if I loaded 10 rounds, the second one failed to feed and was deformed in the bargain (bullet bent down from the case mouth). This happened every time after shooting a few dozen rounds. Upon examination I discovered that the mag follower was semi-stuck with a full mag. It was pushing up very slowly. Fed the first round because it was already at the top, but failed the second because the mag has to feed the round as fast as the bolt is cycling, and it wasn't even close. This did not occur if I only loaded 5 or 6, so that's what I did for the rest of the range outing.

When I got home I cleaned the mags thoroughly and oiled them. On my latest range trip I didn't have the problem. OK, gotta oil the mags. It's a polymer follower in a plated steel body. Shouldn't need lubrication. Compared to Ruger .22mags, these things feel cheap and flimsy. They don't take down for cleaning like a proper mag: you have to stick something in the slots and pull the spring away from the baseplate. Cheap.

On the plus side, the gun feels good in the hand, is nice and muzzle heavy as a target pistol should be, trigger isn't bad, shoots reasonably well, and the mag release is where it should be.

By and large I'm a big fan of S&W, mostly their revolvers. I was excited by the idea of this pistol, as it seemed like it would be easy to clean and I liked the way it looks. So far, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. My old (bought it used in '96) Ruger MK II bull barrel target pistol is a better gun.

[QUOTE=Aussie From Aussie] (New to this. Hope I'm doing this right); I'd feel the same as you Old School. Eventually I reckon the thread would weaken and eventually strip. On a mate's suggestion I dribbled a bit of nail polish, that's right, what chicks put on their long finger nails to stop them from breaking, a bit of nail polish on the top threads after cleaning all threads with metho and blowing them off. I tightened it quite firmly without going overboard and it didn't move after 500+ rounds.
It took a bit of pressure to eventually break the bond but everything was OK.
Incidentally I have a Mk3 Ruger and I compared both mags. I've never had reason to disassemble either of them but I felt the quality of both were even. However, the Victory spring was definitely a shade weaker than the Ruger which brings me to the failure to chamber prob. Once again on advice I stripped it down and thoroughly cleaned it and with a wire brush and strong lead remover I gave it a hiding scrubbing like buggery just at the barrel entrance. I wasn't game to use a drill as my mate suggested but next day I fired off 85 rounds with one eject failure which was a first but all chambered OK. I cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol squirting it freely inside the mag and blowing it out with compressed air. So far so good fingers crossed.
I agree with you in that the Victory has a lovely grip but the Ruger is a better gun and certainly looks more like a real gun. Having said this, I bought a second Mk3 Ruger which was an absolute bummer! Couldn't get 3 shots off without failing to eject. Fixed it with a Volquartsen extractor but the trigger is terrible. I'm looking to replace that with a VQ as well. You wouldn't believe two identical guns could be so different.
Here's to ya......Aussie From Aussie [QUOTE]