View Single Post

Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a VICTORY model...calibre 38 S&W. Circa 1940's some time. My Mom carried it in the Philippines at the out set of WWII. It is stamped with about 15 or so armorer's stamps. I think they were 'reworked' in Australia before being issued to the Nurses of the 13th Air Wing. She, like my Dad, was on Luzon when Pearl was bombed, walked the Bataan Peninsula and escaped to Corrigedor. My Dad was not so fortunate.
I have fired this pistol and she is fit as a fiddle. No loose or cranky screws. I also do no believe they were designed to be removed and/or dissembled after each firing. I believe...barrel and cylinder cleaning were the norm. And, coming out of 30 years in refinery maintenance, I have never seen any 'normal' screw and socket fitting to be opened and closed on each maintenance cycle. Some are indeed, but these, in my experience, have been 'socket' or hex screws with MACHINE FINE threads. And, I do not see any of these in my version of the VICTORY pistols.

A design 'flaw' is indeed a serious issue. A screw fitting that comes loose upon use, again, in my opinion, is probably a misuse or abuse of a previous user. If a VICTORY model showed a problem, in the 40's...my guess is that some military armorer would have caught that as these VICTORY items were issued to combat troops, (my Mom) and would have been addressed.

Nose Dive
Cheap, Fast, Good, Kindly pick two.