View Single Post

Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
There are likely several hundreds of thousands of loaded guns in nightstands and I can't remember the last news report of someone waking from a dream and shooting the wife or kids. I know a decade and a half of sleeping with a gun in my nightstand has never had me waking up and blasting anyone and I tend to think it makes me sleep a little better.
I agree with that. I have:

1. Slept with a loaded Model 19 4" in my nightstand for years (long ago)

2. Slept with a loaded Model 629 3" under my pillow for years and, after the divorce, and a literal change of the bed I was in, I kept that gun on the floor next to me for years. After I dumped it I switched to...

3. Slept with a loaded 2.5" Model 686+ on the floor next to my bed for years. Realized recently that it was harder to reach than I thought due to age and arthritis - I practice panic awakenings - so I moved it back under my pillow.

4. I still sleep with a loaded 3" Model 686+ under my pillow. I keep it in a gun rig to avoid feeling it through my excellent pillow - a revolver is easy to feel through a pillow but not so much when in a gun rug (unzipped).

I do not consider this unsafe. I do not have nightmares and even if I did grabbing that gun wouldn't be an issue - there's nobody else in the bed!

Sidebar - if that last statement is not correct (it can happen) the gun goes back on the floor.

So much hoopla about this being an unsafe practice. It is not. The gun needs to be reachable if some ghoul meanders into the bedroom. I'm not counting on my dogs - they're too sweet.
The Following User Likes This Post: