View Single Post

Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM

Liked 1,613 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
In 9 mm Luger the short answer is NO.
Only trim 9mm if they reach 0.754' , then you can trim them back to 0.749' or 0.750' . It's not that critical.
For some reason the 0.743' cases reload and shoot just fine.

Let me pass on a hint I learned , don't bother measuring and trimming 9 mm or 45 acp , just sweep them up and reload them, all the measuring, sorting by length and head stamp really does no good for ammo shot informally at under 25 yards...unless you're shooting for money.
The targets I have shot at 25 yards do not show any better accuracy between trimmed and sorted cases and mixed cases untrimmed ....exact same bullet and powder charge....I would have never believed it , I would have bet money that sorted and trimmed cases were more accurate.....they are not.
Or at best they might be marginally more accurate....but not enough to go through all that trouble.
Anyone else conduct a test like this. Rifle ammo is another story.
Gary
I have and what I determined was that I am not accurate enough to tell a difference in sorted or unsorted cases in a handgun. I still think all ( rifle & pistol ) cases should be sorted by brand and
I load each box of cases as a unit so every case in the box has an equal number of loadings. That's the way Elmer did it ,that's the way my grandfather did it , and that's the way I still do it.

Rifle cases I can tell a noticeable difference in . I shoot a lot of 7.62x54R in Finnish Nagants and have a pet load that I worked up in S & B cases because that was the only cases that I had available at the time that were reloadable. I later purchased a large lot of Privi brass from Graf & Son and found that the same extremely accurate load did not work in these Privi cases . There was a noticeable difference in case volume between the two brands. I never mix rifle cases and would be very hesitant to mix pistol cases if working up anything like a max load.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Eddie
P.S. As of yesterday Graf had 135 gr Gold Dot SB's in stock .

Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-14-2016 at 11:29 AM.