View Single Post

Old 10-22-2016, 09:09 PM

Liked 1,569 Times in 635 Posts

You are looking at the result of a huge overload. Was much louder than any normal 22 I have ever shot, much black smoke out of the action, and it blew the extractor out of the pistol S&W repaired it and had to replace the barrel, bolt, extractor and firing pin.

Action was in battery when I pulled the trigger, I had been doing some long range shooting and put the safety on after every shot to check bullet impact at 100 yards through my field glasses. I can post many more photos, but you get the idea.

I have had three of these events in the last year and 1/2, one with CCI Blazer, one with Federal Target and this one with Federal Auto Match. Federal claims they fired out of battery, I know it was in battery when it fired and believe the extra pressure opened the action before the bullet had left the barrel thus the case ruptured.

I usually shoot over 100 rounds a day, I know this is not a common event and the odds are against it happening but I am tired of it and tired of it happening to me and hearing CCI and Federal customer service blaming the firearm.

Smith & Wesson just keeps fixing it and I am thankful that Smith & Wesson backs their product 200%.

Thanks for asking.

I still have the box of Federal Auto Match ammo, only shot abut 30 before this happened. The ones I fired were very irregular, BANG, pop, boom kind of stuff, very lacking in accuracy. I kept the box and plan on weighing all the cartridges and then maybe play with the manufacturers. If anybody wants to shoot some of it, stop by but bring your own firearm.

Last edited by Ed Fowler; 10-22-2016 at 09:18 PM.