Thread: Switchblades
View Single Post

Old 10-24-2016, 11:30 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthom View Post
Haven't checked on the knife laws in Texas since I recently moved here. But I carry a Benchmade Griptillian with the Axis locking mechanism that opens about as fast and easily as any folding locking knife I've owned, and that's quite a few! You can open it easily with the thumb stud, but if you catch the Axis lock with thumb and forefinger and hold it back and give the knife blade a flip, it's out easily and right now! With a bit of practice, you can release the lock as the blade moves into locking position. You can close the knife the same way in reverse. I have the large one and the smaller copy. The big one has a serious blade that ought to handle about anything you'd want to be close enough too to use it on.

Gonna hafta look into my new State's knife laws! Maybe some will chime in an enlighten us all about what Texas will allow!

During Rick Perry's tenure as Governor, knife laws changed for the better. (So did gun laws.) I gather that switchblades are now legal, as are assisted opening knives. Max. blade length is 5.5 inches.

I think any of the following remain illegal: Bowies, daggers, poniards, dirks, stilletos, swords, machetes, and gravity knives. Not sure about the last. I don't think machetes are specifically named, but they're over 5.5 inch blades, so if a cop wants to get you, they could go that route.

I used to work with a young guy who was a little reckless and who liked to race cars. That got him in trouble with game wardens after a race at a lake. They thought he smart-mouthed them as well as racing. So, they went on a treasure hunt and found his tackle box with a fillet knife over 5.5 inches and charged him with an illegal knife.

I've heard that San Antonio has a ban on all lockblade knives. Check, if going there. Plano supposedly has a three-inch blade limit, but that conflicts with state law as does the ban on lockblades. I think state law prempts local laws. Someone with money needs to sue to repeal those laws.

We have a member in South Australia. He told me that cops there generally don't bother with knife laws unless they're looking to hang something on someone that they want for something else or can't charge, otherwise. I suspect that a knife they'd ignore might get you in trouble in New South Wales or in Victoria.

It's always good to know the literal law and how cops tend to enforce it. I think much depends on the pesonal image that a person has.

Last edited by Texas Star; 10-25-2016 at 12:38 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: