View Single Post

Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Liked 913 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
The Saint is a better rifle on paper than the Sport 2 is.

4150 CMV barrel vs 4140 barrel on the sport
In my opinion, the biggest advantage of 4150 is less barrel deflection under heavy full auto use. This is important in combat, but not for my purposes. And I think the barrel deflection issue is offset to a certain extent by using an A2 barrel profile vs an M4 profile. For my purposes, I would not get a Saint simply to get this feature.

1:8 twist vs 1:9 twist
I prefer the 1:9" as I mainly use 55 grainers. I rejected 1:8 and 1:7 barreled guns for this reason.

Mid length gas system vs. carbine gas
I like mid length for free float, but not for standard forends.

BCM grip vs A2 grip
BCM stock vs standard M4 stock
BCM keymod hand guard with heat shields vs standard guards without heat shields
I don't care for the BCM furniture, so that's a wash. In fact, I replaced the Sport II furniture with Magpul anyway.

M16 BCG vs AR BCG
If I was using the upper on a select fire lower, this would be nice. Otherwise, meh.

Upgraded trigger vs standard trigger
Have not tried the Saint trigger, so I don't know if this is a worthwhile feature for choosing a Saint over a Sport II. Having said that, my Sport II trigger is OK for a regular AR trigger.

Probably a few things I am forgetting. Each individual will have to decide if the different features are worth the money. Personally, if it can be had for around $800, I think it makes a good alternative to the Colt LE6920. But if you don't like the BCM furniture, it probably is not the best buy available.
Agree. For my purposes, the Sport II was a better buy.
I think the desirability of the Saint vs the Sport II is going to boil down to which features are useful or desirable to the potential owner and which ones are not. Make a check list and tally them up. One of the biggest differences, though, is the BCM furniture. If one does not care for it, then the gun may be a wash as the BCM furniture is a waste of money if changed out.