View Single Post

Old 11-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRecon View Post
I was trekking the woods around my farm this weekend when I was scared stiff. A younger, but fairly large black bear had happened to wonder into the thicket about 75 yards down hill.
Armed only with my 638 J frame (I was expecting coyotes at worst!) I didn't even ponder shooting the large beast.
As luck would have it, he went along his way without noticing me.
However, should I run into his parents I don't feel certain I would get that lucky again.
The largest caliber I have atm is .357, which I feel a well placed series of shots just might do the trick.
However, I am not a handloader, and don't think hollowpoints have the penetration I would desire.
I was hoping someone with more experience in big game could recommend some factory ammo that could get me out of a tight spot.
I was born and raised in Appalachia and have had many encounters with black bears. Not long ago, I deliberately approached to within a few feet of one. Unless some dumb bass has been feeding them, one has about as much to fear from a black bear as a hummingbird. Out in the Rockies they get much larger and can become aggressive if they begin to associate people with picnic baskets. Anyone who shoots a "nuisance" black bear in Virginia better have a pretty good story to tell Game and Fisheries personnel. I also spent a year on Kodiak Island and the bears there are a far different story. I think a good loadout for easter black bears is a wooden spoon applied with great velocity to an aluminum pan.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: