View Single Post

Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Liked 141 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig View Post
So its cheap is the reason to buy but so are a lot of other rifles... which in the end would be cheaper. When the Sport II was $500 this was the same with better specs and if you are only going to change the furniture out later a better value.

OEM MID-LENGTH 16" RIFLE | Brownells

Yeah but OEM rifles like that are for people that know what they want / are doing before they buy the rifle. The Sport is a nice complete rifle, from a well known and respected manufacturer, that feels like a safe and low cost entry into AR ownership.

It's only after you own it and shoot it for a while, and read about the all the configuration options online, that you start to realize you want to change things.

That Aero OEM to me is a great second rifle, and probably what people should buy if they already know they want to customize something to their liking, but you have to discover the unknown unknowns first.

I started with a Sport I, slowly customized it trying out different options, first a new stock then drop in handguard then free float until it there barely any original rifle left at all. So then I had a bunch of spare parts left over so figured I should use them to build my own rifle from scratch suplimenting with a BCM upper and other quality parts as I saw good prices in them until I had a second rifle this time with a 20" barrel and rifle length gas system, then I went the other way and registered an SBR and built an 8.5" 300BLK with a suppressor, and then started 80% lowers.

Then eventually just as I was running out of space in the safe I went full circle and bought a Colt 6720 and left it completely stock except swapping the BUIS for a carry handle iron sight because I decide that it was important to have at least one unfettled rifle with a pinned FSB for a raining day if I ever needed to do something serious.

I still love my original Sport'enstein though, it's a great shooting rifle and in my eyes it looks perfect, was it the best use of my money? Maybe not in rifle terms but heck I sure learnt a lot and had fun doing it, and to me that's a lot of what I love about the AR.

Last edited by arnoob; 11-15-2016 at 09:50 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: