View Single Post

Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 AM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil
So if the question was -- Why do people who know they want to remove and A2 front sight buy a rifle with an A2 front sight, I'd say that's an excellent question but I doubt that's the overriding scheme of things. My guess is that a lot of folks who end up replacing the A2 front sight initially recognized the S&W brand name, found the price and warranty attractive then clicked the buy button and let the learning curve begin.
I understand the learning curve, name recognition and price point being the motivation behind many of the people purchasing the Sport II. Really I get it but I see so many people who are making the modifications after so few rounds down the pipe. Guns that have not even really been broken in.

It seems like, and maybe I am wrong, the owners start the modification process before then even really understand why they are doing them or what they want to achieve by doing them. Maybe its just my impression. So many people go don't seem to really know what they are trying to accomplish by changing the rifle. It seems like most of the time they are looking to make a cosmetic change vs a real change in the functionality of the rifle.

If they did not like the cosmetics of the rifle right out of the box why did they choose this rifle? When I am at the range it seems like the people shooting their AR15 don't shoot modified AR15s any better than a basic setup like a Sport II. Function and use does not seem to be driving configuration and gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil
In order for something like the Aero Precision to be attractive a buyer would first need to know that they could not find precisely what they wanted already configured and understand the costs involved and possess the know-how. That's a fairly sophisticated buyer in terms of a specific firearms purchase. I certainly wasn't when I purchased my first AR.
This maybe true that the Aero OEM rifle and others of the same nature have more appeal to a knowledgeable buyer but it doesn't always mean it is not a new buyer. The beauty of the OEM style rifles is that everything but the handguard is super easy to install or is already installed on the rifle. You don't need a ton of tools. I mean how hard is it to put stock on a buffer tube? Maybe I just do more research than the avg.

The other option that is out there that is often cheaper than the Sport II is to simply buy a complete lower and a complete upper and pin them together. You can get a lot more rifle and have a lot more flexibility in its setup right out of the box.

Last edited by WVSig; 11-16-2016 at 10:58 AM.