View Single Post

Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Liked 6,632 Times in 1,834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyphil View Post
I wish I could remember the name of a book, and the author, I read many years ago.
It was about a guy who spent most of his working life as an employee of a timber
company, over in Washington State, if I am remembering correctly.

His job was keeping the black bear population under control on the
company timberlands. Over his career he killed thousands of black
bears.

He would set bear traps chained to big fallen trees. Then check his
traps on a regular basis. He would kill the bears in the trap. Guess
what gun he carried.

A .38 Spl. revolver.
Crazy, if you could rack your brain for the title to that book I would like to read it. These type of people with their experiences are the type of reads I like. The person I referred to in an above post worked the same type of control that the person you mentioned had done. This guy was a gun nut and tried many different calibers and loads. In the 44 magnum caliber he liked expanding bullets and he was one of the co-inventors of Hornaday's XTP bullets, which was designed from his experiences. The 357 magnums the op asked about, he said very little about. There has been several people who have had bad luck with soft point ammo and bears. The late great Bob Milik shot a small black bear 5 times in the head at close range with 158 grain soft points and the bullets failed to penetrate the skull and simply mushroomed against the skull. Interestingly enough the guide killed the bear with a head shot from a Colt Woodsman in 22 long rifle. A game warden in Yellowstone shot an attacking grizzly several times in the head at inches away to have the 125 grain bullets do the same and just mushroom against the skull. As I sais earlier, interesting stuff.
The Following User Likes This Post: