View Single Post

Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig View Post
Why are people buying the Sport II?
A 15-Sport or any other sub $600 AR-15 is akin to a gateway drug. It's usually someone's first AR-15. The only way you discover your preferences is via experience. The only way you get experience is through ownership and trying things out. My 15-Sport v1.0 (when I owned one) went from a nice, lightweight, keep-it-simple-stupid, $550 AR-15 to a decked out pig:

When I was new, I was counseled by those with experience to save up and buy a factory complete rifle decked out with as much of the things I wanted instead of doing it piecemeal. I bought a 15-Sport. I thought, "This is it. I own an AR-15. Don't need to do anything to it". Then everyone was doing Magpul furniture. The handguard isn't that expensive. The stock isn't that expensive...

Total up all of the $$$ I spent on the parts pictured and the parts that ended up in my spare parts box, I should have just bought a Daniel Defense Mk4 A1 and had everything I wanted right out of the box. BUT... I was new. I had no idea what was what. At some point I was so far in the $$$ hole modifying the 15-Sport that I actively denied how much I spent on "upgrades". I'd gone too far to stop.

I try to tell the new guys to be patient. Save up. Buy a rifle equipped and configured from the factory with as many of the things you want. Don't fall into the same trap I did. Hypocritical of me, but I still do it.

You know how my infatuation with the AR-15 ended? When I finally realized that no matter what part or adjustment I make to an AR-15 I really don't interface with one well. I stopped. I sold my AR-15's. I had gained enough experience to know my preferences, and bought a semi-auto clone of a military issue rifle other than an AR-15. I found what is right for me.

So it's chicken or the egg.

Last edited by JaPes; 11-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.