View Single Post

Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Oregon View Post
Compare the specs. The Sport II has a 1:9" twist, which is as fast as I want to go. The gun you linked to has a 1:7", which I did not want.

For others asking why not the M&P-15 Optics Ready, it has an M4 profile barrel, which I do not want. I wanted the barrel profile on the Sport II.

And, while the Optics Ready carbine has a railed gas block, it lacks a folding rear sight. I don't see where this is worth the price difference, which exceeds what a railed gas block costs, and the gap is even more if you add the price of a folding rear sight, which I did want.

I did not want the free floating forend models either. They're even more money.

And, I wanted CAR length forend furniture, not mid-length.

The replacement furniture does cost money, but in my case I swapped with another gun.

Eventually a railed block with a folding sight or a combo block/folding sight will replace the A2 sight. But again, from a cost standpoint, it's still cheaper than getting the Optics Ready model. And the one linked to above does not have a railed block, just a smooth low profile.

So I think even when modifying it, you still get a lot of bang for your buck with a Sport II.

I guess I just don't see the value when you consider that the Sport II has moved up to $620-$650 OTD.

I used that Aero as an example of what I consider a better alternative but if it does not meet your spec I understand that. If you have a very narrowly defined spec isn't it better just to build exactly what you want from the ground up or simply buy a complete lower and then complete upper made to your desired spec.

If you are capable of swapping out all of those parts you are more than capable of building it from the ground up so why start with a $620+ complete rifle? There is nothing magical about the parts used by S&W that makes them better then say PSA.

You see value I guess I don't. When Sport IIs were $500 + transfer maybe but not at $620+ transfer.