View Single Post

Old 11-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

Jimmy,

You pose an interesting task. Back when I was teaching, I tried to address the same dilemma with securing my classroom during a lock down. I think that there needs to be more considered than what you have offered.

What is the construction of the sanctuary's walls? Most churches I have been in have had either stone and concrete or cinder block and either wood or drywall walls. If your church has stone and/or concrete, you have to fear the risk of richochets. Are there windows or stained glass built into the walls? Is there a risk if someone sprayed the sanctuary from outside, of the rounds penetrating the walls?

Can I presume that you are preparing for an incident that is not the result of members of the congregation? What is the likelihood that your church could be targeted?

As much as I like the concept of wadcutters, they are definitely off the list of viable munitions. Your defenders are opening themselves up to unwanted legal action if they use inverted HBWCs. Speedloading wadcutters could cost valuable time. I think that JHP ammo, or SWC ammo, is the only option that is realistically open to you.

Realistically, you want to be shooting outward, away from the sanctuary. The only inbound projectiles should be coming from those that you deem as the threat. You have no control over what the threat is shooting.

I have some ideas on how to approach your church's security, but I wouldn't want to give anyone ideas. I don't envy you your task.