Thread: .45 Auto issue.
View Single Post

Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 PM

Liked 6,015 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet 028 View Post
First off Just want to know..what is the following?? 6.1 grains of a blended "Action Pistol" powder..!!?? And what has been suggested is probably right..extractor problem of some sort. Could also be a worn recoil spring that puts things out of whack.
The powder is used by a local ammunition manufacturer in their factory ammo and also sold to reloaders. They say it is a blend of two different but similar "well known powders which results in the benefits both are known for".

Those benefits are listed as being "renowned for accuracy" for both powders, "long shelf life" for one and "exceptional stability" for the other.

Could be just some advertising hype but the factory ammo has been tested by a local gun magazine who found it very accuracy in most guns, especially .223 and .308 rifles, and the powder is used by a lot pistol shooters here.

It helps that it is around 20% cheaper than imported powders, even those imported from ADI in Australia which you would presume would have a pricing edge over US made powders.

Having said that I have to admit that in my experience (I chromo every batch of ammo I reload) the published tables are well out.

When I first started reloading for the .45 I selected a mid range load of 6.9 grains (tables list min 6.5 and max of 7.3 with a 230 LRN). The power factor was just over 198! The reduced 6.1 charge has been perfect for me in my Springfield, accurate and giving just enough of a safety margin above 170 PF for me to use it in competition.

As it stands though I really do like the AP50N load in this pistol so will probably stick to that for the use I am making of this gun.

The pistol is brand new, less than 200 rounds through it so the recoil spring should not be an issue.

I'll get the extractor checked later today.

Thanks.