View Single Post

Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 PM

Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Default SS Cylinder Cleaning - how to get rid of residue caused by cylinder gap

I got a M69 recently. First time I went to the range I only had time to put 50 rounds through it. That is all it took to turn the front of the cylinder and the area around the forcing code completely black. I tried soaking it in different gun cleaning products with no luck. I tried Hopes #9, Gunslick, Ballistol, even using a harsh cloth for rough polishing with the Gunslick cleaner, still no luck. I went to one of the local gun shops, Canyon Sport In Martinez, and one of the staff recommended the Pro-Shot Lead-Clean Gun Cloth. 3 or 4 minutes of rubbing and the cylinder and forcing cone area looked brand new. I imaging the more you have shot since the last time your cylinder was shiny, the more you will have to rub and rub and rub. I ended up using it to clean the cylinder bores as well.

So if you are asking yourself, how do I get lead and powder fowling off my SS revolver? The answer is "Pro-Shot Lead-Clean Gun Cloth".

(I am not associated with Pro-Shot or Canyon Sports. I am just passing some cleaning tips hoping to help someone who was having the same issue I was. In fact, would bet there are other brands that offer the same product and presuming thy use the same solvent, I recommend those as well.)

Attached is a picture after about 30 minutes of meticulous cleaning using the cloth. I really could have spent less than 10 minutes but I was being OCD. Unfortunately I did not get a before picture, but I am sure those of you who have a SS revolver know what that looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161125_135556.jpg (65.2 KB, 218 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post: