View Single Post

Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM

Liked 245 Times in 127 Posts

Sandmanfl, you have not told us about your familiarity with revolvers. If you are used to taking the sideplate off a Smith & Wesson revolver, then giving the gun a thorough internal cleaning is a good first step for examining this issue.

However, for anyone who has never opened a revolver, I always encourage them to approach the sideplate with caution. Removing the sideplate is not difficult, but it does require specific tools and procedures. Below are some brief notes about removing the sideplate.
  • You must have proper sized hollow ground screwdrivers or you will damage the screws or the finish around them.
  • Keep track of the screws and put them back in the same holes they came out of.
  • Do not pry the sideplate to remove it.
  • To remove the sideplate, tap on the grip frame with a piece of wood or a screwdriver handle. The sideplate will works its way loose. Keep your thumb on the sideplate so it does not bounce away.
  • The edges of the sideplate will be sharp. Handle the sideplate carefully so that none of the edges get damaged.
  • After you remove the sideplate, there will be one piece inside the revolver that is loose and which can just fall out. That piece is the hammer block safety. It is important. Don't loose it.
  • Sometimes when you put the sideplate back, it is difficult to get the hammer block back in place. Fiddle with it, and you will get it.

You can find videos on youtube which illustrate the process. I don't mean to make it over complicated. It is not really very difficult. But if you are not comfortable with this process, it is totally appropriate to leave all internal maintenance of revolvers to a gunsmith.

Also, if you do decide to clean the inside of the revolver, please use cleaners and lubricants that are designed for firearms. I do not use WD40 for anything related to firearms.
The Following User Likes This Post: