View Single Post

Old 12-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Liked 6,617 Times in 2,199 Posts

I typically carry 1-3 speedstrips. Depends on how I'm dressed (I pocket carry my snub.)

Sometimes an additional speedloader, in addition to the speedstrips, if I'm wearing a jacket.

Maybe a pair of speedloaders if I'm not carrying speedstrips.

Sometimes to 5 speedloaders if I'm dressed and carrying my camera case (used to be my common motorcycle riding setup).

You're looking at a case that barely holds a J-frame in the main pocket, and easily 5 speedloaders in the outside (front) film roll pocket.

Now, that's for an off-duty/retirement weapon.

If I were to return to full-time active duty I'd only carry a snub as a secondary weapon, or at most as a meeting, conference or court appearance weapon. Not as a primary duty weapon, even if only plainclothes.

A 6-8 shot revolver as a primary duty weapon? Sure. 1-3 more rounds in a larger and more easily controlled primary weapon.

Given my druthers when it came to returning to carrying a smallish pistol for plainclothes duties? I'd go back back to carrying a 4513/4013/3913TSW, or one of my G26/27's ... or a Shield 9/.40, at the smallest.

However, that's presuming the timer and repeated duty course-of-fire scores reflected no significant differences between running the smaller guns against the larger "compact" or full-size guns.

There's probably a difference when it comes to frequency of potential elevated risks, in your daily risk assessment, comparing being armed off-duty (or retired) and being actively engaged in having to go out and repeatedly insert yourself into the lives of folks who have demonstrated a tendency to run afoul of the law and the criminal justice system.

Dress accordingly.

G26 with a snub as an approved secondary? Probably more realistic, and "better prepared", than carrying a snub as a "primary" (and no secondary).

Just my thoughts.