View Single Post

Old 12-02-2016, 05:01 PM

Liked 7,746 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Thanks to Smith & Wesson Forum holster mavens for suggesting the hammer protector on the 5-inch N-Frame Brill was an add-on that needed to go!

I didn't like its looks, but didn't catch on that it wasn't original until posting it here. Bit clueless there.

The stitching proved to be half rotten so wasn't a problem. It was also secured with glue which was more of a problem. The modification hammer protector peeled away with great care and only small damage to the leather underneath. The tooling is present and distinct but the flower petal detail is filled with glue.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to remove glue from leather surfaces with the least amount of surface degrading.

Is there a way to smooth or dress roughened leather surfaces?

I have a gun show to work this weekend, but am getting back on working on the holster next week.
Depends on the glue used. Leather glue will be easy and supaglue is brittle and chips away. Post some pics, or PM me if you like. Afterwards the right leather dressing will make it all look homogeneous again. Conversely if there is any dry rot slash red rot you'd have to do nothing at all, because the leather will disintegrate while you're working.

Last edited by rednichols; 12-02-2016 at 05:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: