View Single Post

Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover67 View Post
Thanks for all the comments so far. I've learned a lot.

I was initially attracted to the .455 because it had adjustable target sights. As plus points it was a Smith & Wesson and a big-bore, oddball caliber, all desirable aspects to me. I wasn't sure what it was chambered for, but have since discovered that it is .45 Colt, another bonus. The sights look professionally done, although they look a little Rugerish. The finish is a little worn, which adds character, and I really like the British proofmarks, including "not English made."
It sounds like you found a great shooter that you can have a lot of fun with!

It's actually stamped: "NOT ENGLISH MAKE".

NOTE: Observing serial #s AND OTHER MARKINGS for accuracy or even existence, especially on penciled stocks, requires magnification, bright light, and an attitude that it is there!

You may find this helpful for all your Serial # locations:
To confirm all parts are original, check for your 6 matching serial # locations for fixed sight pre war Hand Ejectors and all post war Hand Ejectors thru ~1956.

1. Gun butt - or forestrap on I frames/single shots with grips that cover the butt

2. Barrel - bottom of barrel or in extractor shroud

3. Yoke - on rear face only visible thru a chamber with a flashlight

4. Extractor star - backside

5. Cylinder - rear face

6. Right stock only - on back; stamped, scratched or penciled depending on vintage and stock material. (except most target grips because individual fitting not required.)

And Assembly (factory work) #s:
These multi-digit numbers of 3 to 5 digits, are on the yoke at the hinge, in the ‘yoke cut’ on frame opposite the yoke near the hinge, and inside of the sideplate, for the pre war and early post war period.

You know they are assembly (factory work) #s because of those 3 locations that always match on guns that are original, and that’s the only usefulness for them after guns leave the factory: still used to this day, long after serial number locations decreased.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 12-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: