View Single Post

Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,660 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
The choice to carry higher capacity spare magazines (for the next larger models) is yours, and it artificially inflates the round-count you're offering as an example.

Nonetheless, the answer to "how many rounds fired?" by carriers/users of semiauto pistols versus revolvers can vary by the time and source of reported statistics. I've come across official studies/reviews that showed the number of rounds fired may be only slightly higher, or up to twice as many as previously observed.

I'd use some caution in ascribing causes of recorded events in such statistical observations, though. Some studies and reviews have seemingly tried to account for such things, and some have seemingly involved conjecture.

It's also been surmised (guessed?) that some people thought the reason they were carrying more rounds was so they could "take advantage of using them".

An example ... After we'd transitioned from revolvers to hi-cap 9's, I remember one firearms instructor performing an aimed exercise (shooting a steel plate), where he just started blazing away with his hi-cap pistol, putting rounds all over the place (mostly missing). When he was quickly called on his sloppy shooting, he tried to justify it by saying that they'd given him all those available rounds so they could be used. This was a guy fully familiar with the necessity to aim revolver shots, too.

An aimed shot is an aimed shot, regardless of how many rounds may be available in the gun for making aimed shots before loading is again necessary. (I've seen many a former revolver shooter still look to aim each and every shot fired from their new hi-cap pistols.)

In a situation where a gun is discharged, each shot fired is commonly considered to be a use of deadly force, and someone using deadly force ought not be surprised if they're called upon to justify each and every shot fired(use of deadly force) afterward.
even with a stock magazines I would carry 25 carrying my Compact and 27 when I carry my PX4 .. So 2 times what most revolver carriers carry .. when you carry one speed strip or speed loader or moon clip ..

But why wouldn't you use the highest capacity magazine for a spare that you could .. I don't see that as inflating the round count only using the best that is available just as a revolver user would use the best available to them !!

I would expect every shot fired would have to be justified in a self defense shooting .. The correct number would be what it took to stop the threat to ones life ..

I've never read any stats on number of shots fired between an auto verses revolver usage in a SD situation !! It would be interesting to read what the stats are on that .. and if shots fired are lower in states that have restricted magazine round counts then unrestricted states ..