View Single Post

Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitwabit View Post
I've never read any stats on number of shots fired between an auto verses revolver usage in a SD situation !! It would be interesting to read what the stats are on that .. and if shots fired are lower in states that have restricted magazine round counts then unrestricted states ..
I had remembered reading of a study done comparing shots-fired stats of a police department, possibly NYPD, between revolvers and semi-autos during the transition period that said officers with semi-autos fired more shots. I was curious so I used my Google Fu and found this paper submitted by the NYPD Police Commissioner in 1992 to the DOJ's National Institute of Justice, https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digi...45560NCJRS.pdf. It's his report on the pilot program where a couple hundred NYPD officers carried Glocks instead of their standard issue revolver.

A couple pertinent quotes:

Quote:
Reloading, however, is rarely necessary in an armed confrontation. Our firearms discharge records indicate that only 2 of the over 300 officers who fired their weapons in 1991 had to reload.
Quote:
Additional Rounds Fired - There is a documented tendency for more rounds to be fired from semi-automatic pistols than revolvers. For example, in the first year that all Transit Authority officers were issued semi-automatic weapons they fired 43 rounds of ammunition in 4 incidents involving armed confrontation - a rate of 10.7 rounds per incident. This finding is backed up by the New York City experience which shows that plainclothes officers who are authorized to carry semi-automatics fired 59 rounds in 7 armed confrontation incidents - 8.4 rounds per incident. This is double the number of rounds fired from .38 calibre revolvers which is consistently below 4 rounds per incident.
I should note that this was in the early 90s, so the nature of armed confrontations and training may have changed since then. Also, keep in mind this is a law enforcement report so it may not be directly applicable to civilian self-defense encounters. Another thing to keep in mind is that the author doesn't say how many officers were present at each incident, so that may also affect the number of rounds fired in total.
The Following User Likes This Post: