View Single Post

Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Liked 7,733 Times in 2,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
..............an unmarked, good quality holster that came with an early 1911( not the one in it in the image).

and the aforementioned L. A. Sessums out of Longview, Texas.

Oh Em Gee, how's a cowpoke to get a grasp of his pistol while it's in the holster in the first pic!? Pics of the rear are always appreciated, they tell us a lot about potential makers. Not uncommon at all for holsters of the early 20th century (and late 19th) to have no marking; and it helps to realise that the mark was a mailing address for prospective buyers, so perhaps leaving off the mark makes it what's known as a 'hardware store holster'.

s-l1600.jpg

I wouldn't have picked yours as an auto holster, but then again I do see some amount of moulding around the top of the 1911 grip, too. I wouldn't have picked it as a Sessums without Phil's input, yet when I study the intricate details (e.g, the little crease around the edge at which the basketweave stamping stops, and the exaggerated shape of the holster mouth [used much later by Wolfam and then Colt]) I have to consider his notion seriously. The Sessums holster he mentions is the traditional copy of the Brill: the cuff has to be 'waved' or sculpted to clear the opening left for the trigger guard access, and it's mouth is much closer to Brill's sculpting (not exaggerated).

One of these forums showed a 22 auto in a Brill revolver holster, and it wasn't a correct fitment. It helps to realise that, in general with holster designs, a 5" auto will look quite natural when inserted into a threepersons-type 4" DA revolver holster (the auto's guard slips down into the pocket at the welt, intended for the front of the DA revolver frame) and even leaves gripping clearance for the knuckle of the drawing hand.

Last edited by rednichols; 12-11-2016 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: