View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,548 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Home Defense Tactics

Home Defense. Miscellaneous thoughts.

The above thread, which I initiated earlier this year, talks at length about home defense tactics.

Regarding your very valid concern, my feeling is that 99.9% of intruders would prefer not to have a confrontation with a home occupant. Once they become aware that you're awake, they must make an instant judgment call: is he just up and about or is he aware of my presence?

Is the intruder merely trying to steal valuables or is it your wife's or lover's X-boyfriend or husband determined to exact revenge and who also may be suicidal? My feeling is, even in your home, if you can scare off an intruder without actually discharging a firearm, you have accomplished your purpose.

My personal preference is to use a firearm that doesn't require a sound signature to deploy. If you do not thoroughly understand home defense tactics, it's easier to disarm someone of a long gun than a handgun when poor tactics are employed.

As for lighting, I would want the light to momentarily incapacitate the intruder. My feeling is that there should always be sufficient ambient light in other parts of the home that will allow you to discern a family member from an intruder without resorting to a flashlight, especially one that's gun mounted. Plans for an armed defense of your home require that all aspects of your tactics be scrutinized to stack all the cards in your favor and to minimize mistaking a family member for an intruder, especially if there are adult children still living with you and who come and go at all hours.

Last edited by federali; 12-12-2016 at 11:52 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: