View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 05:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 797 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1006 View Post
I never ever bought PPU factory, but have been sent some for pull-down documentations. The latest one is shown here; Priv Partizan Ammo PPU 170gr FPJ (Jan 2016) - 10mm-firearms.com

Originally one of our forum members suffered a casing blowout with PPU brass, and that started some questions of the integrity of their brass.
Also we found some PPU brass that was sold as reloads, and then they were found with the bullets set back deeper in the casing. As you know bullets seated deeper can raise chamber pressures, so this was interesting to say the least. I pulled them apart and studied what was happening, only to find the cases would not hold their resized dimension. That info can be view here; 10mm reloaders DO NOT USE PPU BRASS!!! - 10mm-firearms.com

It was possible the cases were of a bad batch of alloy or not properly annealed to start with.

With all of this said I have reloaded and shot PPU cases over the years, but paying attention to the details while loading them, has shown good results for my reuse.
What you referred me to were some of the postings I was referring to. I read these postings after I had bought a few boxes of the PPU 10mm. So, I shot them with care, checking spend cases for any signs of case or pressure problems. When I reloaded the cases I was careful to check each step in the process, this was made easier since I only use a single stage press. Now, maybe after a few firings they will exhibit some of the problems reported. After I've reloaded them a few time, I'll post again with results.

I noted that most of the negative postings were from mid-2014, more than two years ago. It may be that it was a problem with a particular batch or maybe PPU got the word and tightened their quality control. In any event, after reloading for over 50 years, I've always been very attentive to the condition of the brass I use for reloading.

By the way, a bad batch of brass can show up with the best of manufacturers. Back in 1999 or 2000, I had some blown primers with a batch of .243 Winchester ammunition shot in a Ruger Model 77. I stopped after a couple of rounds. I kept the spent brass, and unfired cartridges and sent them back to Federal Cartridge Company along with the lot number. They sent back a laboratory report showing there was a problem when the brass was extruded . . . oops, their bad. However, they also included a check for the retail price of a few boxes of ammo. It happens . . .

Last edited by Denver Dick; 12-12-2016 at 10:38 PM.