View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

Every house is different. That's the first issue. You live in a big home with second or third stories, thousands of square feet, etc., you have a lot to consider. You live in a small home, 1000 square feet or less, you have different considerations. Same with apartments/condominiums/townhomes/trailers. Each has a different set of considerations.

In a small home, one level, one field of fire, your options are fairly limited. If you have a larger home with an upstairs balcony you can play "Scarface" and "let me introduce you to my little friend". But at no time can you blaze away without being sure of your target.

Most states these days do not have duty to retreat laws, they have stand your ground laws and castle doctrine laws. That still doesn't allow for instant gunfire. If you are disturbed whilst sleeping, or even when you are watching TV, you need to have a plan of action that covers those contingencies.

Giving away your position is not wise in most cases. Racking a shotgun basically gives you away and does not ordinarily dissuade a dedicated home invader - it just gives him motivation to attack. Clint Smith teaches that you use your handgun to fight your way to your long gun and I subscribe to that as well. I totally disapprove of rifles for home defense, anyway, but that's a YMMV thing. My home defense shotguns can be reached but my home defense handguns are my first line of defense because they can be reached more easily.

I will only give away my position at the moment I order a home invader to the floor but if the perp has a weapon I might commence firing without a warning but I HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT THE WEAPON. You just cannot go around killing miscreants irresponsibly.

The shotguns are in closets. Retrieving them makes noise. I will only open a closet if nobody is yet inside the house but I hear them coming, or my dogs do. The handguns are at hand. So that's how I define the equation and I live in a small house, not one of those big ones that require more planning.